This course presents findings from leading-edge neuroscience research on how different drugs act on the brain and how differences in age, gender and other factors influence those effects. The course introduces different types of drugs and describes global trends in substance use and addiction.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Explain how neurological processes are affected by substance use
- Describe the mechanisms by which various drugs modify normal processes in the brain
- Relate U.S. and global trends in substance use disorders
- Outline how factors such as age, gender and ethnicity are linked to susceptibility to substance use disorders and the effects of substance use
- Identify proven methods for prevention and treatment of substance use disorders