GMS6783 Addiction: Counseling and Treatment Methods
This course looks in-depth at collaboration between counselor and client in establishing treatment and recovery goals, promoting beneficial behaviors and discouraging harmful behaviors that put individuals at risk for infectious diseases and other issues. It covers individual and group counseling, as well as counseling for families, couples and significant others.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe how to establish an effective counselor-client relationship
- Reinforce helpful behaviors and discourage harmful behaviors using various strategies
- Explain the application of different types of therapy such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- Devise methods and processes for individual and group counseling
- Identify appropriate counseling methods and available resources for families, couples and significant others