The course is intended to familiarize students with the provision of MTM in patients with neurologic disorders that range from common to complex. The student will gain hands-on practice in the core elements of MTM for patients with neurologic disorders, including conducting a comprehensive medication therapy review, generating a personalized medication record, designing a medication-related action plan, making pharmacotherapy interventions, and documenting the MTM service. The curricular threads of advanced pharmacotherapy knowledge, communication skills, and essential MTM business principles will be emphasized.
Syllabus: Download Syllabus
Course Format: This online course is tailored for synchronous distance learners.
The student must have successfully completed Foundations of MTM I and II.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to demonstrate the ability to perform the following with respect to neurologic disorders:
- Recognize areas of pharmacotherapy knowledge essential to the provision of MTM services.
- Identify clinical practice guidelines and current scientific literature pertaining to the provision of MTM services.
- Evaluate scientific literature for use in providing up-to-date, evidence-based, and cost-effective MTM services.
- Communicate effectively with patients when providing MTM services.
- Identify barriers to patient communication and design strategies to overcome those barriers.
- Conduct a targeted or comprehensive medication therapy review (MTR).
- Identify drug-related problems and recommend rational solutions based on a mastery of pharmacotherapy.
- Create a personalized medication record for an individual patient receiving MTM services.
- Design a medication-related action plan, taking into account patient abilities and preferences.
- Educate patients regarding techniques to improve adherence, decrease the risk of adverse drug reactions, and maximize appropriate and safe medication use.
- Communicate interventions effectively to physicians and other healthcare colleagues.
- Document MTM services in a manner sufficient for following patient progress, monitoring patient outcomes, and completing billing statements.
- Utilize sound business principles in the provision of MTM services.