PHA 6631 Foundations of Medication Therapy Management I
The course will introduce the student to the core elements of medication therapy management (MTM), physical assessment skills, communication techniques, and literature evaluation methods needed for the successful provision of MTM. The student will learn how to conduct various types of patient care interviews. Additionally, the student will develop confidence in communicating with patients and providers, performing physical assessments, and analyzing the medical literature.
Syllabus: Download Syllabus
Course Format: This online course is tailored for synchronous distance learners.
The student must have successfully completed a Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy or a Doctor of Pharmacy degree, and must be licensed and in good standing with their respective state Board of Pharmacy. The student must be in good academic standing with the MS-MTM degree program.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Establish individual goals for personal practice and identify the MS-MTM program competencies that will enable achievement of these goals.
- Define the core elements of Medication Therapy Management (MTM).
- Outline how to provide MTM to an individual patient.
- Perform and document basic physical assessments of vital signs, vital statistics, and other physical assessment findings necessary for provision of MTM.
- Utilize appropriate medical terminology when recording physical assessment findings and documenting provision of MTM services.
- Obtain a thorough medication history from a patient that provides adequate information to conduct a comprehensive medication therapy review.
- Utilize effective communication techniques when conducting a medication therapy management session.
- Identify ineffective communication techniques that serve as barriers to the provision of MTM services.
- Document patient assessment, pharmacotherapy, interventions, recommendations, evaluation, and follow-up using effective written communication.
- Communicate MTM interventions effectively to other healthcare providers.
- Identify drug information resources necessary for the provision of MTM services.
- Critically evaluate scientific and professional literature for the purpose of making an MTM intervention.