About the Program
The Graduate Certificate in Addiction and Recovery is designed to help counselors, social workers, nurses, physicians and anyone with a bachelor’s or higher degree gain specialized knowledge and experience in the treatment of addiction and substance use disorders. It will help meet the growing need for well-trained addiction professionals (including substance use and substance abuse counselors), and prepare a workforce that’s well-equipped to address America’s No. 1 public health problem. Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to, among other things:
- Apply proven, research-based methods for substance use prevention, diagnosis and treatment
- Outline models and theories of addiction, treatment and recovery
- Devise appropriate and effective treatment plans for individuals and groups
- Tailor treatment based on factors such as age, gender and culture
- Describe how addiction affects the brain
- Discuss current trends in substance use and addiction
- Monitor patient progress and evaluate treatment outcomes
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary treatment team
- Cultivate professional and cultural awareness
- Engage communities and government agencies
The Addiction and Recovery Certificate covers all the knowledge and competency areas outlined by the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) as being crucial for addiction professionals. These areas of study are the same ones tested by the Florida Certification Board (FCB) Certified Addiction Professional (CAP) and Certified Addiction Counselor (CAC) exams, and the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC).
For students who plan to go on to pursue substance use or substance abuse counselor certification, we are pleased to be able to put you in contact with addiction practices where you may gain clinical experience. As much as possible, we will help facilitate connections between students and practitioners located near them. Students and practitioners will then communicate directly with each other to decide the details of their specific clinical experience, and any associated payments.
We encourage you to take the next step towards addiction counselor certification in your career and become specialized and trained in substance use counseling and treatment through UF’s online graduate addiction certificate.
To learn more about the University of Florida’s online Graduate Certificate in Addiction and Recovery and download a free brochure, fill out the fields below. You can also call (888) 213-8466 to speak to one of our Academic Coordinators about the certificate program.
The University of Florida respects your right to privacy. By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails and calls from a representative of The University of Florida, which may include the use of automated technology. Consent is needed to contact you, but is not a requirement to register or enroll.